Catholic Wedding Requirements
Catholic Marriage Requirements and Catholic Wedding Requirements.
Please contact us for more details of each listed points to these contacts:
The following documents indicated in bold are required for a Catholic Wedding in Italy.
1. Formal letter from your parish priest granting permission for the wedding to be performed in the church of your choice.
2. Your priest should also secure a letter from the Bishop of the parish stating the same as in # 1 and this letter should also be written on letterhead.
3. The letter from the priest must also state that you have fulfilled all PRE CANA procedures, and should include the certificate (if a certificate was done) showing that you attended the premarital classes.
4. The Original prenuptial inquiry form has to be issued by your parish and be on formal church letterhead of your Parish.
5. ALL certificates of baptism, first communion and confirmation must be sent together with the Prenuptial inquiry form and letters mentioned in # 1, # 2 and must also be stamped by the local Bishop’s office.
6. Original of the civil wedding certificate, (in event the Italian priest will not perform the civil part of the marriage the civil ceremony must be performed prior to the religious ceremony and that original certificate must be presented to the Italian priest).
7. If one of you are not Catholic you will be required to obtain another document such as “Permission of mixed religions” to testify that the wedding celebration can be performed by the Italian Church.
All the documents mentioned (excluding # 6) MUST have been sealed or stamped by the Bishop’s parish office.
It is necessary for us to receive copies of all of these documents in advance, so as to verify with the Italian Church that they are complete.
At a later date you will be asked to send all the ORIGINALS directly to the Italian Curia, so they can proceed with the preparation of documents. It is not possible to complete the Catholic marriage requirements without providing the originals documents. If time does not permit, it is possible for you to bring the originals with you, however, we do not recommend using this option unless absolutely necessary.
We are happy to translate your documents for the Italian priest as required for an additional fee.
NOTE: The Italian priest or Curia has final say on granting official permission for the wedding to move forward after seeing the paperwork.
The agency does not have authority over religious regulations.
Keep the original documents with you, do not send these here in Italy before receiving the Italian Church approval based on the copies you send us.
FOLLOWING OUR INSTRUCTIONS WILL HELP MAKE YOUR WEDDING GO MORE EFFICIENTLY.
Catholic requirements** The above refer to a couple that has never been married previously. If you have been divorced in the Catholic church and your marriage was not officially annulled you cannot marry in the Catholic church. Please advise us if you have had your marriage annulled.
Documents should not be done more than 3 months in advance or they expire. (with the exception of the baptism, holy communion and confirmation, that are issued when you received these sacraments).
For Catholic weddings only (not including the Civil portion), a certificate of civil marriage (note that the marriage license is not enough), is also required. The civil wedding certificate never expires. The only case is that the couple has divorced and want to get married again in the Church. In this case a civil reconciliation is required.