Historical Cafè in Saint Mark Square

 Venue in Venice

Historical Cafè in Saint Mark Square

Opened in 1720 this Cafè is one of Venice’s symbols. Since its opening, it has always been frequented by an illustrious clientele: with ambassadors, merchants, fortune hunters, men of letters and artists, but also the ordinary citizens of La Serenissima. The Cafè was a crossroads of changing moods and news: Gaspare Gozzi chose it as one of the few places where is Gazzetta Veneta (one of the forst Italian newspaper) could be bought.

The Venice Biennale of visual Arts was conceived around its marble tables at the end of the 1800s, and for years the rooms of the Cafè have hosted initiatives proposed by the most significant realities of contemporary art.

At the turn of the century, the Cafè began making the Venetian summers even more appealing by adopting the traditional European “Café-concert” with a resident ensemble. And now, on any given day, you may find yourself sitting in one the Café’s rooms next to stage or screen stars, or other luminaries from the worlds of art, culture, politics and business.