Chiesa di San Nicolò dei Mendicoli

Saint Nicholas of the Beggars is a church in the Sestiere of Dorsoduro (includes the highest land areas of the city and also Giudecca island and Isola Sacca Fisola).The islet where the original church was located previously housed poor fishermen, hence the addition of mendicoli (“beggars”) to the name of San Nicolò. From then on, the inhabitants were called Nicolotti. The present structure dates from about the 12th century, with frequent reconstructions. The present clock tower was added in 1764 to replace an older one.

Chiesa San Niccolo' dei Mendicoli