The Chiesa di San Moisè is a church located in Saint Mark Sestiere, built initially in the 8th century. It is dedicated to Moses as, like the Byzantines, the Venetians tended to canonise Old Testament prophets. It also honors Moisè Venier, who paid for it to be rebuilt in the 9th century. The elaborate Baroque facade, dating from 1668, is covered in carvings. All the decoration is by Flemish sculptor Heinrich Meyring (sometimes Italianised to Merengo) who also carved the massive sculpture on the altar inside with the help of Tremignon, seemingly out of a rock. It shows God handing the tablets to Moses.