The town cathedral is dedicated to patron San Pantaleone and founded in 1086 by Orso Papiro, the first bishop of Ravello. Rebuilt in the 12th and 17th centuries, and completely restored in 1973, the Duomo retains traces of medieval frescoes in the transept, an original mullioned window, a marble portal, and a three-story 13th-century bell tower playfully interwoven with mullioned windows and arches.
Every July 27 devout believers gather in hope of witnessing a miracle (similar to that of San Gennaro in Naples), in which the saint’s blood, collected in a vial and set out on an inlaid marble altar, appears to liquefy and become clearer. Use one of the side doors to go behind the altar in the small chapel to get a closer look at the pint of the saint’s blood. In the crypt is the Museo del Duomo, which displays treasures from around the 13th century, during the reign of Frederick II of Sicily, in an elegant setting.