Vasto

Destination Weddings in Vasto

 

Vasto Abruzzo

 

According to tradition, the city was founded by the Greek hero Diomedes.

First known as Histonium, one of the chief towns of the Frentani, it bore the title of municipium under the Roman Empire, flourishing into an opulent town with a theatre, baths, and other public structures, with numerous mosaics, statues, and columns of granite or marble.

Histonium had no natural harbor, but was dependent port on Punta della Penna, where there was good anchorage.

After the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, the city fell to the Lombards and, finally, to the Franks. In circa 1076, Histonium was renamed Guastaymonis, or the Waste of Aimone (Italian: Il Vasto d’Aimone), following raids, from where it received its current name.

In the 15th century the city was transformed by Giacomo Caldora, who had became its lord. The Caldoras built the new city walls that can still be seen today: Torre Bassano in Piazza Rossetti, Torre Diomede in Vico Storto del Passero, Torre Diamante in Piazza Verdi and Porta Catena, with Castello Caldoresco as its primary defensive outpost.

During the Spanish rule of southern Italy, Vasto became fief of the Marquises of d’Avalos; and in the reign of Cesare Michelangelo, who was its marquis from 1697 to 1729, Vasto reached its greatest achievements.

Barely shaken by the revolutionary events that took place in 1799 (a short-lived Republic of Vasto was quickly overthrown by the Sanfedista, or loyalists, the city’s history followed the course of the Restoration to the unity of Italy when a liberal elite governed.

During modern times Vasto became a tourist attraction with the development of its beaches, Roman-era thermal baths, mosaics, cisterns and remains of an amphitheatre that were found and restored.